Sunday, November 15, 2009

substituting oil with applesauce for baking



This post is a shout-out to our friends in Gettysburg, Dick and Donna. I have been remiss in sending a thank you card this year and hope this will suffice.

The Dick and Donna team are long time friends of my BMW, Aunt-in-law Lonna. I have been lucky enough to tag along for a seasonal visit to apple country where Mott's still grows their own apples (apples from the USA!). We have the opportunity to pick all the organic apples that our car will hold. I was unable to make it this year but Dick and Donna filled the baskets that I sent. Thank you!! I shared at least a 3rd and am still trying to finish up the rest. I made 2 dozen jars of sauce and last night made 2 huge pies.

I have to admit it is a pleasure to visit these 2 world traveling, volunteering, community activists ...but... the best part of the visit is the Gettysburg Baking Co. Holy cannoli, do they make the best freshly baked bread... ever! They started out with a tiny store front and are now serving lunch from their new cafe. If you are out this way then you must stop! You can't find artisan bread bakers too often and you can watch as they work their craft. http://gettysburgbakingco.com/ Don't be stupid, stop here if you are in their neck of the woods.

Here are some photos from last year. Yes, I even took pillow cases to stuff with free, organic apples. We had just enough room to take Jane (Dan's adventure loving, always cheerful mom) back home with us. She makes Dan's favorite applesauce.



I like to process and jar the sauce to use throughout the year for baking and Dan (who can eat a jar at a time). When processing the apples I core and cube, leaving on the nutrient rich skin. After they cook down, I sweeten with agave. Dan likes chunky applesauce and I use a hand held blender to blend up the naturally sweet goodness (a FAV kitchen tool of mine). Listen, apples may just keep the doctor away because they are full of fiber and phytonutrients. Check out one of my favorite websites to learn more http://www.superfoodsrx.com/superfoods/apples/
I substitute applesauce for oils and fats in some recipes. It seems that this substitution works best in cookies, some brownie and cake recipes. If a recipe calls for oil I substitute equal portions or you can just replace a potion while still using a bit of oil. Check out my pumpkin muffin recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment