Monday, December 27, 2010

local goat cheese makes for easy recipes

I have been on the hunt for local goat cheese and rustled up a few leads but the one I connected with is Amazing Acres Goat Dairy in Elverson. I have heard that this cheese artisan sets up on Penn Avenue for the West Reading Farmers Market.

For a recent tasting at Shri Yoga on Penn, I ran out to Amazing Acres and if it was not a rainy day I would have taken a photo of the great goats who were checking me out from their cozy barn. I picked up fresh fromagina and chevre.

The owners shared that fromagina can be substituted in recipes that call for ricotta or mascarpone to make a sweet or savory recipe. Use it for a savory dip or add sugar (I used agave) and fresh/frozen fruit for a sweet alternative. I served chocolate wafers with a creamy fromagina that was blended with Weaver's Orchard cherries, vanilla bean, agave and walnuts.
Bet it might make a nice addition to a savory cheese cake.

Goat cheese is an easy savory to serve in a roll or ball. I rolled the chevre in cranberries, walnuts and rosemary from my garden. If you want to stretch the cheese or make it a bit softer try blending in an equal portion of cream cheese.

At a recent get together held at Epiphany Life Enrichment Center, I made a cranberry goat cheese log. Here is a link to an easy cranberry goat cheese log recipe, it is just as tasty as it is beautiful to present.

all in all...use simple, local ingredients and keep it real folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment