Wednesday, January 6, 2010

too ugly lentil, rice and sweet potato pilaf

UPDATE: this is the pilaf made into a beautiful bowl of soup with quinoa and pilaf leftovers...

This pilaf was too ugly to photograph and looked a bit like swamp mud but was so tasty. I stirred and handled the pilaf too much but it was an experiment, it will be prettier next time. I love the taste and texture of lentils. I buy my organic lentils from Echo Hill because I'm not ready to commit to buying a 25 lb bag for my business.

Did you know?
lentils are a fiber super star. So not only are they great for your heart (cholestoral reducing soluble fiber), are chock full of insoluble fiber to keep your plumbing clean, the soluble fiber also helps maintain blood sugar levels and feeds your body with a slow burning kind of fuel (i.e complex carbs), are full of iron and . . . are easy and quick to prepare!

I also sneaked in some vitamin C & A and extra fiber by adding sweet potato. mmm. . . This recipe makes at least 4 cups and if for some reason (there is no excuse) you can't eat it all use the leftovers to make soup. Mix up some broth, a can of diced tomatoes and shop in your fridge on on your shelf for your other favorite goodies to add.

too ugly lentil pilaf

1 cup sweet potato, chopped (about the size of bullion cubes)
1 3/4 cups broth or water if you are watching your sodium
1/2 cup brown jasmine rice (I'm a rice junkie thanks to echo hill but use what you have on hand...and man oh man I hope it's not white rice)
1/2 cup french lentils or green lentils
1/3 cup onion, chopped
3 T celery, minced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp thyme

In a saucepan over medium heat, add the oil, onion, celery, and saute for about 6 minutes or until onions are translucent. Then add the garlic to cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the sweet potatoes and rice to cook for 2 minutes. Add the lentils, broth and thyme bring to a boil cover and reduce to low and cook for about 25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Girlfriend!
    I can't believe you and those shells!! I wanna go!! I love Georges Chicken and only added a few kalamata olives, red onion and capers (no carrots or potatoes or peppers) It was yummy! It's so easy and one of our new favs.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete