Tuesday, June 23, 2009

father's day asian grilled salmon kabobs

Wish I had pictures of this dish because it was beautiful prepared. Instead there is a photo of my super dad with baby brother Philemon! Wish I could visit my dad more often!!

I made lemon, pepper & garlic chicken kabobs for father's day, per John's request (Dan's father), but wanted to do something a tad more special (I forgot to make baklava, a favorite dessert of his). The chicken kabobs are killer though! I used 4" skewers and this made about10 when all was said and done.

2 salmon steaks, cubed in 2" pieces
1 red or yellow pepper, cubed in 1 inch pieces
1 med onion, cubed
6 cremini mushrooms, halved
1 zucchini, sliced into 1/2" disks

marinade
2 inches fresh ginger root, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced or diced
1T honey
1Tsp sesame oil
3T soy sauce
red pepper flakes optional

I spooned (you can strain) some of the marinade and reserved it to drizzle over the grilled kabobs, I'm glad I did as it made a nice finish. Doll it up with a sprinkle of black sesame seeds after drizzling with marinade...all this after cooking, of course! Let's not give dad food poisoning.

I like to mix my marinade and protein in a Ziploc bag. This way I can mush it around from time to time as it is macerating in the fridge. Let the salmon macerate for about 2 hours. Soak the kabob skewers for at least 20 minutes, before loading up, in an effort to prevent burn on the grill. Spray the grill grates, if you remember, to prevent the salmon from sticking. Assemble and grill for about 4 minutes then flip. Make sure not to overcook!

No comments:

Post a Comment