Monday, February 22, 2010

butternut squash lasagna meets samosas

a photo later...

I was going to make a quick lasagna for dinner tonight, short on time and needed an excuse to use some of the dozens of jars of homemade sauce we put up this summer. Thought I had a small bit of samosa filling that was from a test batch a bit ago but it turned out to be more like 3 cups of this tasty ground turkey, pea, and sweet potato filling. It was too much to have the Indian flavor lost in the tomato sauce. Yuck, what was I thinking...that Dan would not notice a bit of Indian meat in the tomato sauce? yup. So a new recipe idea began to form in my bitty mind. I have a feeling that Dan might at least try it...if I starve him.

I made a bechamel sauce and just as it neared thinning added 2 cups of squash puree (buttercup squash from the garden). I mixed 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese with a garlic seasoning mix and some shredded cheddar. I know this sounds a bit gross but the scent wafting from the oven is tempting. This may be one of my MacGyver fridge moves that will either bomb or pleasantly surprise.

So, a layer of the squash bechamel sauce in a greased pan, whole wheat lasagna, samosa with ricotta, sauce and so on. Listen, if people can find pleasure from eating Hamburger Helper then this really deserves a chance. I used real, unprocessed healthy food!

We shall see tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment