Sunday, August 8, 2010

attracting butterflies, birds and hummingbirds

Based on my bird experience I have vowed to be a better bird person...bird feeder hanger...bird lover??? whatever. I just need to learn what beneficial birds I want in the yard, how to get them here and make a happy environment so they stick around... and if I'm lucky I can Cinderella them and get them to help me with the laundry. Do they whistle while they work or is that the 7 dwarfs?I just picked up these 3 books and suggest them to you, bird lover wanna be. The first 2 are Rodale Organic Gardening books, Attracting Butterflies & Humming Birds to Your Back Yard and Attracting Birds to Your Back Yard. Birds in Your Back Yard is a Birds & Bloom Book.

I think I am a step ahead of the game this year. I planted red bee balm and some other hummingbird and butterfly loving plants! We have spotted a humming bird these past 2 seasons but I want him/her to make his/her home here!

I have been plating zinnias for years because the remind me of my father and his artist friend, David Ellinger. David loved to paint zinnias. I remember when dad took me to visit David, during a trip home from college, and he had stacks of paintings but the one that caught my eye was of zinnias. I have a few of his things hanging in the house now but not that zinnia! I do have beautiful memories with my artist and art loving dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment