Monday, August 23, 2010

day dreaming of posting

I just have to share this ... if you look closely in the center of the photo there is a hummingbird perched on the flower. I have taken a friend's advice and affectionately named him (her?) Patrick. I have several hummers but this one is spunky. I adore him! When he is not a peeping Tom he perches on the clothes line but is so tiny he looks like a clothes pin.

We have been busy. Dan's show season started and the garden is full and ready to be harvested! Dan pulled 12 pounds of beets for me yesterday! Something got at the leaves and left them like swiss cheese so I can't really steam them. Steamed beet leaves are amazing. I'll need to do some research for pest control once I identify the pests. We go on holiday in September. I have loads of reading and learning planned.
So, yesterday we pulled out Dan's grandmother's Victorio brand strainer to make tomato sauce. This is far easier than the boiling and peeling method of making sauce. My favorite tomato sauce recipe remains roasting. The recipe is in my blog from last season. I have no idea how many pounds of tomatoes we used for this sauce but we have approximately 18 quarts simmering away in my new/used roaster...uh, hope this works for a slow cook. I have no time to baby sit a pot for a day.

What is crazier in this photo, the colorful tomatoes or the pattern on our flooring?

No comments:

Post a Comment