Tuesday, August 3, 2010

does size matter?


Well, from what I read it does but it's kinda relative. Big summer squash, not so good. Big bottle of rich Shiraz, good.

I've read that the more frequently you pick squash, when they are at an ideal size of about 5-6 inches, instead of letting them get over sized and under flavored the plant will produce more squash for a longer growing season.

The cucumber, seen in the line up, is an Armenian cucumber. This one is a new favorite of mine for the thin, non-bitter skin and when they are sliced they are beautiful. This one got too big.

The bean...well it is some kind of crazy, Chinese long bean. It's crazy that it is so long. I planted this wizardly bean too late in the season so I have only 4 beans to show for it. I was hoping to grow so many that I could braid them into some funky dreads to lay over my cat's head for a rainy day photo shoot. Come on, like I have to to spend time with the cat...just thought it was a fun bean to experiment with. I'm saving the seeds for next year and will plant to eat eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment