Wednesday, October 28, 2009

can't eat too much kale recipe

This is my favorite recipe, of all time, even if I said something else was my fav. I can’t get enough spinach, kale or chard . . . maybe I have a vitamin deficiency. It could be that this is such a nostalgic recipe for me. I made it frequently when I was misplaced, lost and living in Wisconsin for far too long.

My mom was visiting this past weekend, made a beeline to the garden and picked some of the last of my swiss chard to whipped up this dish. You can use kale or fresh or frozen spinach in this recipe. I made a 3 onion risotto using some of my leeks to serve on the side. The creamy risotto and rich chard was a perfect and healthy comfort food. It is perfect in it's simplicity.
  • 1 lb fresh swiss chard, spinach or kale – if frozen use one cube of spinach
  • 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 medium onion
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • Red pepper flakes

In a large pan sauté the onions for about 4 minutes, add the garlic and diced tomatoes. Add the greens and cover and simmer on low until tender.

Occasionally, I will add a 14 oz can of tomato sauce or a can of V8 and some cooked rice, kamut, splet or quinoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment