Tuesday, April 27, 2010

date and coconut cookies (vegan, GF optional)

This is a really easy cookie to make. You won't have to wait for butter to come to room temp or pull out the KitchenAid to incorporate all the ingredients. Maybe it is too easy and too tasty but no one has to know but you! When they are just out of the oven the are a tad crispy on the outside and warm and gooey on the inside; they taste like granola bar meets cookie. I enjoyed mine with some steamed soy milk that had a dash of cinnamon and a bit of agave.

I have to share a picture of my nephew after he the tried my cookie. This was the face he made... which was very different from the face he made when I offered him a gumdrop. Maybe I should have put gumdrops in this batch!

Here is the bare bones recipe. Use a bit of creativity, I did with my batch. I like cranberries, pumpkin seeds and some secret spices! some ideas... raisins, chocolate chips, favorite nuts, banana chips, ginger, oats... what do you like in your granola?

Date & Coconut Cookies
  • 1/2 C nuts, roasted
  • 1/2 C date pieces
  • 1 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/1 C shredded coconut (I prefer unsweetened)
  • 2 C unbleached flour of your choice ( I used whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 C maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 C oil, canola or vegetable
preheat the oven to 335 degrees. Chop the nuts and dates in a food processor with a few pulses. Add this nut & date mix to a larger mixing bowl with the yeast, coconut, flour, baking powder, and salt; mix well.

In a small bowl combine the maple syrup, vanilla, and oil. Stir the wet and dry mixes together and spoon onto a greased or lined cookie sheet. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.

cool on a rack and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment