Thursday, July 15, 2010

basil or fresh garden peas?

I know this is not a picture of basil but we all know what that looks like... I want to share a quick thought on what you can do with your basil! I made this for Christmas one year and my brother-in-law loved it.

I find it most efficient to make my pesto and freeze it in ziplock bags. I use a basic recipe of walnuts, garlic, basil, and cheese. I have been doing some googling to find out what people do to keep the color preserved. I have seen everything from quick blanch the leaves, citric acid to lemon juice.

Anyway, take some of your fresh or frozen pesto (about 1/2 cup) and mix it with sour cream or a blend of sour cream and yogurt. Whatever dairy combo that you use to make french onion dip should do. Of course, go by taste. Add a pinch of salt or a dash of soy sauce. Maybe you like it spicy so try some pepper flakes or powdered cayenne.

This makes a crazy good dip!

did you know?
  • there are 60 varieties of basil
  • it has anti-fungal properties
  • it has anti-inflammatory properties
  • the vitamin A in basil makes it a great at fighting free radicals
  • check out this site to read more

No comments:

Post a Comment