Tuesday, July 20, 2010

patty pan squash

Okay, we have all seen this before... stuffed summer squash but this is my,
"what's on hand" version. My kitchen has a wonderful scent wafting around in the breeze (it's hot and I have the fan on high).

I was excited to start these babies, heirloom benning's green tint squash. This is only my third year growing and I don't like the ordinary. These grow so quickly they are getting away from me. Dan picked these two this weekend and I plan on heading out to check for more when I'm done typing and the sun takes a break. So this dish is born of what I grew in the garden. It's pure love stuffed in a squash and baked!
  • 2 squash, scooped out (dice up the scooped out part)
  • Kernels from 2 ears of corn
  • 1 sweet potato, chopped (neighbor's)
  • 1 large red onion, chopped (okay, maybe not all from my garden...this is from Martin's...but I am growing onions)
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 cup garlic bulbs, chopped
  • 1 cup of cooked, organic sweet brown rice (try quinoa, spelt or kamut)
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 2 jars (approx. 3 1/2 cups tomato sauce...mine is roasted tomato sauce from last year)
  • oregano, salt and pepper, to taste
saute ground turkey with a tablespoon of olive oil, onions, seasoning, and garlic. Just as the meat is browning turn the heat to med-low and add the sweet potato, corn, rice and tomato sauce. simmer for about 15 minutes.

okay... my oven is preheating now so wing the rest! I have the oven at 400 degrees and will cook, covered for 45 minutes but will check at 30 minutes. the squash should not be so overcook that it falls apart.

I have about 3 cups of leftovers. If you do, don't panic. Freeze it for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment