Saturday, July 24, 2010

I'm going to be a cucumber

(I could be one of 3 varieties that phoebe planted...she lost track of name tags)

Maybe I need to find a new hobby. Shopping, fitness club junkie, baker, eating baked good, self pampering...

Gardening is back breaking, time consuming, requires planning. It all begins in the winter... picking seeds, ordering, starting them, keeping them alive and properly tagged. I am talking rotating crops, companion planting, bed spacing, layout, what time to plant which veggie, what goes in after the beans come out, tilling, retilling, soil health, attracting beneficials, keeping away the devil bugs without pesticides, fencing out rabbits and other hairy creatures, preventing blight, dreaming about blight killing the tomatoes, making sure the plants have enough water and at the right time of day, did I mention the amount of fluids lost in perspiration (not talking weight loss because I'd be back to my normal size by now)...or being a bit "dewy" - as the southerners would say)...I mean the amount of sweat equity is disturbing.

...but... oh my goodness, a baby cucumber makes me so proud and the sense of accomplishment, priceless! I'm finding that simplicity is breathing freely. Call me naive, it won't be the first time, but there are times when I step into the garden or by the flower beds and I just want to kick my heels up and scream just like Stewart, from MAD TV, .... "look what I can do!" My pockets don't have to be full but my heart should be light!

No comments:

Post a Comment