Sunday, July 12, 2009

art, great company and bread in lewes delaware

I made a last minute trip to Lewes this weekend to visit my parents and hug my aunt and uncle, all of which I see far too little of. My parents have a great garden this year which includes tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, onions, cucumbers and watermelon. Their cucumbers were in season and wonderful (thin skinned with few seeds). Dad's largest crop will be his variety of figs. He was very interested in the seed selection from Happy Cat Farms (he loves tomatoes). Check them out folks.

On the way to the Rehobeth Art League ( http://www.rehobothartleague.org/craftshow.html ), to check out the show dad entered, we visited with my darling, diva aunt and artist uncle whose flower garden is in full bloom. It dawned on me that the cookbook collecting compulsion, from which I suffer, is as a result of a strong genetic disposition from both sides of my family. My passion for simple food is also deeply rooted in family as well.
The pieces (L to R) are titled "bearded poet in clever disguise" and "gossip." George Canakis is a fabulous artist whose work has evolved over the years from still life to abstract. He is self-taught with a gift and ability that is appreciated by those with whom his work is shared. His sense of humor in relation to his work is charming!


lastly, if you are anywhere in the Lewes or Rehobeth area you MUST stop at a local's favorite, Dibonaventures Provincial Bakery in Lewes, for artisan bread with a cause (donations are made from sales and of product). You will not find a better bread in ... well... anywhere between Reading, PA and Rehobeth, DE. You won't find this place advertised, you either know about it or not. I picked up a mozzarella and tomato bread and a thin crust "pizza" (one with zucchini and feta and the other cherry tomatoes, garlic and cheese). http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_0c4z72 . As Mr. T would say (assuming he has been to DPB), I pity the fool ... who doesn't stop here for bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment