Thursday, March 11, 2010

broccoli soup but what's for dessert?

We are planning to visit Dan's family tomorrow night to celebrate a birthday. I got wind of the menu: wiener schnitzel (dan's father makes a beautiful schnitzel), peas, scalloped potatoes, boy's salad (a strawberry and banana jello mold with a layer of sweetened sour cream), and an eclair cake. I am sure there will be freshly baked bread too. So, based on this detox program I can eat the peas... Plan #1 remove my contacts for dinner Plan #2 take food

In preparation for tomorrow, just baked off one of the last spaghetti squash from my garden. I cut the squash in half and before putting it cut side down on the baking tray added garlic cloves, a splash of olive oil, and a dash of oregano. I also steamed some french beans and made a batch of broccoli soup.

The broccoli soup was simple and is quite tasty. I caramelized onions, added pressed garlic then broccoli pieces and broth. After about 15 minutes on medium heat, I used an immersion blender to smooth the soup. A few last additions included: quinoa, a splash of unsweetened soy milk, salt, white pepper and grated Parmesan cheese.

Lastly, I prepared a baked portabella and eggplant parmesan. Alton Brown shared a neat trick to substitute eggplant for pasta, like a fettuccine. He thinly slice the eggplant lengthwise, added a tad bit of salt, placed on a paper towel in a sieve and let it loose it's water while in the fridge. Presto, a healthy non-pasta. Anyway, I grilled some portabella (that was coated in pressed garlic), put it in a baking pan, topped it with ricotta cheese (mixed with minced garlic, oregano and mozzarella), the eggplant shreds, sauce, and finally a mix of mozzarella and smoked mozzarella.

No comments:

Post a Comment