Tuesday, March 9, 2010

not your mom's dieter soup...

...because it is lacking the ranch dressing flavor packet. Does anyone else remember this soup? Made of cabbage, a can of diced tomatoes, string beans, potatoes (maybe) and a packet of dry ranch dressing. Is it weird that I thought it was quite tasty? I feel this is more an early sign of my love of veggies rather than love of dieters . . . anything.

I raided the fridge last week to make something that followed this new 6 week detox. I'm calling it a detox because it sounds chic and it is more of a detox than a diet, whatever! Back to my fridge raid, I found the cabbage and collard greens, ginger and lemons. Soups on! Use any veggie you find as the yum is in the lemony, ginger broth.

I sauteed shallots and finely diced ginger then added the sliced cabbage and collards. The chicken stock was next followed by some quinoa. At the very last, I added slices of lemon. Lemon juice makes the best secret ingredient to most soups! Lastly some leftover cilantro. I enjoyed the simplicity of this soup.

Funny story(if you know Dan), I packed a hearty serving of soup for my lunch. The following day, when I was ready to head to work I could not find my soup. I called Dan to warm him he took my healthy soup in error. Now, he might have been spinning the truth but that night he said he, "actually enjoyed the soup"

No comments:

Post a Comment