Saturday, March 27, 2010

rosemary

Spring is here, some of my seeds have been started and garden planning is in full gear! I found hope and inspiration while enjoying a coffee, waiting for my car repair. Just outside the cafe window I spotted a rosemary bush that has survived a few seasons in our climate. "Hope" and "inspiration," strong word to use for rosemary? Not if you have tried season after season to find a varietal that can survive our temps.

http://www.sclydeweaver.com/home.aspx

I love rosemary. I blend it's essential oils with others and almond oil using it as a moisturizer. It is fabulous for cooking and I may experiment with rosemary in baking this season (when I am off this detox and can eat what I bake). The scent of rosemary also reminds me of my parents and their home cooking. There is another post I'm sharing that you should check out if you are interested in the scoop on rosemary. I also encourage you to check out one of the blogs I follow, http://cloverleafherbs.blogspot.com/
Long and short, I spoke with the store manager about his rosemary tree (okay, it was not that big but it all depends on your perspective). Before she rang him, the barista assured me that he loves talking about his plantings. She was not wrong, the gentleman was gracious with his time and knowledge. He shared that his varietal is a Rosemary Officinalis, Hill Hardy but that the Gorizia type is also hardy for this area. I would love a bush this size...imagine the skewers I could use for kabobs!

The manager wrote this information on the back side of scrap paper, that turns out is a recipe card. I'll share that too!

Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 T milk
  • 2 T white wine or lemon juice
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp dry mustard
  • 4 oz blue cheese
put all ingredients in a blemder but withhold half of the cheese to crumble into the mixure. Makes 1 1/2 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment