Thursday, December 3, 2009

Christmas Craft Shows is it about the crafts or food...

mmm... I suppose that depends on your perspective. Sure, I can sketch a quick pic or paint a lovely little work of art or design flowers into a fab arrangement. Walk in my shoes and it is all about the food, the more sugary the better. There are 2 vendors, in particular, that sell hard to resist sweets at this show and my book just happened to nestle in with the Amish made treats.

(there is a point to this sugar jibber jabber....keep reading)

I believe that I may have a compulsive disorder and not one that keeps my house in particular order, a sugar compulsion. I try my best to keep it out of the house. I don't particularly like baked fruits and have only eaten 2 apple dumplings in my time (today being the 2nd). It is easy to resist the dumpling for it's one flaw... the apple mush inside. How am I to resist dumpling that is a sweetened, buttery dough baked to golden perfection? Simply put, for the all the goodies that it is wrapped in...sugar makes me do it and all sense goes out the window and on to my hips. In my defense, I only had 4 bites of this dumpling and Dan had the pleasure of finishing it. I only had 4 bites because I plan on buying one of the Amish made toll house chocolate chip whoopie pies. That sweet icing sandwiched between two cookies will give one a healthy dose of sugar burn but that is what the french pressed coffee is for!

Then there is a gal named Marinell the beautiful baking diva (as seen in the above photo with Dan and her freshly baked choco chip coffee cake). This baking angel lives so close to this event that she finds the time to bake every night and bring her delicious creations each morning to share with a choice, lucky few. Yesterday it was brownies...moist brownies with huge chucks of rich chocochips. Dan loves her tasty delights. One of our favorites is her chocolate rum cake. She does not give out recipes which made me stretch my virtual muscles to begin a marathon of a recipe hunt. My hodgepodge recipe was not as good as hers....maybe I need more rum.
So, long and short is a great book that I picked up at a recent library book sale (support your local library by donating your time, books and buying their donated books). This is a book I did not know I was searching for and I'm slowly enjoying. Just as you would slowly enjoy a freshly prepared cannoli and smooth cappuccino (only like max crema's can make).

If you are interested in the history of sugar and our love affair with this treat pick up this book it is a great fun read. "The Taste of Sweet" by Joanne Chen at http://www.amazon.com/Taste-Sweet-Complicated-Affair-Favorite/dp/0307351912/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259856494&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment