Monday, December 28, 2009

cookin' for yourself when you're sick

My achy self slept in until about 10 today and whatever it is I have came on fast and strong. It seems every time this year something comes on. Last year I spent Christmas/New Years with my family wrapped in sweaters and scarves... I was crazy sick but not contagious (per my doc) so I still was able to snuggle and hug my nephews. Can never get enough snuggle time with those two cuties!

I am craving my dad's chicken noodle soup and saltines. My mom use to make us something special when my baby brother or I was ill. She would bring us a bowl of grated apple when we were blue. Don't know what it was about that but it is what I miss when I'm under the weather.

I took some of my own mushroom advice and whipped up another quick food fix. I really need some warming, soothing soup and am too beat to invest too much time. This soup took less than 10 minutes to get on the stove and simmering away. This will require you to fish around in the pantry and fridge for ingredients. That being said this is a fly by the seat of your pants recipe, just the bare bones and your own creativity.

I always have a jar of mish mash stuff. I put my rice, noodles, beans and what not in jars and whatever does not fit in the assigned jar I put into one big collective mish mash jar. This soup recipe is also packed with anti-oxidants (mushroom and tomato paste).

Soups on before the tea kettle boils recipe
add all these goodies to the pot and bring to a simmer

  • 6 cups broth
  • 2 carrots, grated (who wants to chop when you are so sick)
  • 1 cup bulking stuff : lentils, orzo, rice, sweet potato, yada yada
  • 1 tsp celery salt (too beat up to chop celery)
  • 2 T tomato paste
  • sqeeze of lemon jucie (secret ingredient)
Between nose blows I can get whiffs of this soup and it smells fab.

No comments:

Post a Comment